The Silver Turtle

Thursday, November 11, 2004

career shakeup

So after three days of mild job-searching, I have applied to exactly one job. It's an assistant editor position for a national magazine. It sounds like it would be almost exactly what I want.. as long as the pay is at least equal to what I'm making now. Which I think it should be.

There were about 4 other jobs I was qualified for or just barely under-qualified for, but they didn't sound very fun. And I'm holding out for the near perfect job. I've heard from lots of sources that even if you're a little under-qualified, if you really want a job you should apply. They're posting their ideal, perfect candidate, and don't usually expect exactly that person to show up. This is within limits, of course - if it requires a law degree, you better have a law degree. If they ask for 10 years experience, and you have 3 plus some courses that relate, never hurts to try.

The good news is that I had submitted my updated resume to my alma mater's career site, and they just approved it today. I didn't know it - but they actually read every single one - no wonder it took them 2.5 days. I know this because they said "I think your resume looks really great - my only advice..." and the advice was just to change the tense of verbs for one job listing. My friend Kevin taught me the fine art of tearing apart resumes and rebuilding them and now we edit our friends' resumes a lot. It's actually kind of fun. And helps you refine your own resume.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home