The Silver Turtle

Friday, August 11, 2006

this is not freedom

Over 500 stories about Airline Security

This is getting ridiculous... I used to love the convienence of flying over other forms of travel. Cars, trains, bikes, and even segways seem like a much better option these days.

Here's the thing: if someone is determined to get a bomb or weapon on a plane, or in any other public place, they are probably going to succeed. So I don't want to deal with not being able to take toothpaste on a plane (which I usually do in case the airline looses my luggage). In fact, whenever I can I don't check anything, and take it all as carryon. I'd much rather take my chances.

Admittedly, I'm a fatalist in that way - if it's my time to go, and it happens to be in an exploding plane, I'd at least like to have some refreshing cool water to drink and my ipod on while I'm playing my gameboy and going down.

Being made to stand in 2-3 hour long lines, test baby formula, pour out drinks, take off my shoes (and touch the ground where other naked and possibly diseased feet have been), and subject my camera to scrutiny... all while wondering what items the airline employees are stealing from my checked baggage and praying that what they don't steal arrives on time to the same city as me... that is not freedom.

1 Comments:

  • I'm a carry-on kinda girl, too. We like to take advantage of free flights whenever they offer them to people willing to give up a seat. You can't do that if you've checked your bag already. Well, you could, but that would either be costly or just grody. Last time my mom flew, they sent their luggage UPS and picked it up at the airport before they had even unloaded the bags from her plane!!

    By Blogger FreedomGirl, at 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home