The Silver Turtle

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

politicians : a mini-rant

I get a little involved in politics and community stuff. I'm not attending too many rallies (and if I am it's probably to take pictures or perform) or anything, but I think it's important to be involved.

I also think that a politician's job is to represent his or her constituents.

Anytime that I send an email or letter or actually place a phone call to one of my representatives, a get a pretty standard letter back. This letter does one of two things:

a It (rarely) assures me that the representative agrees with me and will support/oppose the issue in question
or
b It tells me that the represenative does not agree with me, on moral or other grounds, expresses thanks for my input, but basically tells me to piss off

Being a politician isn't shouldn't be about what you personally believe/support/etc... It's about what the majority of your constituents believe/support/etc...

Pretend you represent a district of 10,000 people. There is an issue for school funding. You personally don't support it for whatever reason. 2,000 of your constituents contact you urging you to oppose the issue. Another 3,000 constituents contact you urging you to support the issue. The remaining 5,000 haven't expressed their opinions to you either way. You may personally oppose the issue, but it's your duty and job to vote in support of the issue, because that's what the majority of your constituents wanted.

I know that politics is all about power and money and lies and is far from the people. And that's the biggest problem facing this country.

1 Comments:

  • That's why I never vote for the incumbent.

    By Blogger acw, at 7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home