The Silver Turtle

Thursday, November 18, 2004

ugh

Yesterday the father of one of my best friends died. So the day was spent on the phone and sending emails to my other friends about who was getting flowers, who was going to the funeral, who was riding with whom, etc.

Today I realized just how crazy my weekend is about to be: Friday I get to drive 2 hours to a conference - which I'll probably at least enjoy - and the 2 hours back home. Saturday I'm getting up early and driving 2 hours in the other direction to the funeral. Then I'm driving home. Then I'm going to a show with my fraternity's local alumni chapter - since I coordinated everything and reserved the tickets, I couldn't just cancel out. Sunday I have to go into work and count inventory for a couple hours. Then I have to go to my friends' kids' 1st birthday party. This will be the longest weekend ever.

Back to the funeral stuff: People dying always sucks. And there's absolutely nothing you can say or do to change anything or make anything "better". You can be there to be supportive, but that's not much. I've been unfortunate enough to have several family members and a few friends die, and it's always really hard. And you know that people mean well, but you get really tired of hearing all of the sympathy after like 10 minutes. At least that's me - I just want friends and family to be there to help take care of things and maybe distract me a little bit and to understand if I want to be alone for awhile.

If my life wasn't chaotic enough I found two more possible job opportunities - but both would require moving. #1 is in a city not too far from me, and still driving distance from most of my family, albeit longer than it is now. It's an editor position with a magazine that I'm very qualified for and I think I would love. #2 is in Chicago, one of my favorite cities, but even further away from my friends and family. (And I've been there in the winter and don't know how I'd feel about living there during all of that). The job sounds okay - it's an assistant editor for internal corporate communication and I meet or exceed every requirement. I wouldn't be so hesitant to move except: I have almost no money saved to pay for moving right now and the boyfriend will have to be willing to find a job and relocate. Which he is generally okay with, depending on the city. I'll have to give some thought to applying on my many hours of driving this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home