The Silver Turtle

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

the best xmas gift ever

I was 16. It was Christmas Eve day. I was sitting in our living room, reading or something. Hearing a car, I looked up and saw the bright cherry red Porsche pulling in to our drive way. (No, that wasn't the gift). It was Joe's car, and Joe taught my tuba lessons.

"Oh, I wonder what he's doing here?" my mom asked casually.

One of us answered the door, and he was standing there with tuba case in hand. About this time my brain went into overdrive. I couldn't believe it - my mom got me a tuba for Christmas! (If you weren't aware, even the least expensive tubas are costly, about a couple thousand dollars). While I wanted one, it wasn't like it ever even crossed my mind to seriously ask for one.

I don't remember saying anything I was in such shock. Joe came in and we headed to the living room, mom and sister gathered around looking thoroughly pleased with themselves, with good reason.

I expected to open the case and find a slightly dented, used tuba. Normal people can't afford to just go buy a tuba. And I would have been ecstatic with that. When I lifted the lid there was the shiniest new tuba I've ever seen, surrounded by royal blue padding. It was brand new. And it was gorgeous.

At the time I thought this was The Best Christmas Gift Ever for several reasons, not the least of which is the sacrifice my mom and sister went through limiting their own Christmas to afford it. I played in tons of ensembles, and planned on majoring in music in college, and it was just an awesome, overwhelming gift.

It's been everywhere, European tour, NE American tours, auditions, competitions, etc. Eventually it got it's first dent and then a second. And there are some dull spots around the bell and on the valves.

It's still The Best Christmas Gift Ever for those reasons, but also because it's just such an awesome horn. My teacher knew my playing well, and knew what I liked to play, and consulted a lot with my mom on what to get me. Initiatlly she was looking for a used tuba she could afford, but Joe went way out of his way to track down an affordable new horn. (It has some barely noticeable coloration spots on the bell which dropped the retail price quite a bit). It's a BBb. Most pros' primary instruments are C tubas, but I love playing in small brass ensembles (playing with 400 tubas not withstanding) and it blends so well with them. It has a beautiful tone, just a little dark, but I can make it bright. That horn can sing. It can cut through an orchestra if I want it to, or it can sound more like the trombones I'm sitting next to. It's got a great response and is just so versatile. While I'd enjoy having other horns, I'll never need another tuba. It's that great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home