The Silver Turtle

Thursday, July 21, 2005

mmmm... play-doh

Tonight I was at the home of some friends who happen to have a kid about a year and a half old. The kid was dragging various toys in and out of his room. Eagerly, he approached with a small, brightly colored bag. He set it down and looked at me expectantly. As he watched me unzip the bag, I could see the anticipation mounting on his face. "Ball. Ball? Ball!" he repeated, having recently watched Mommy make balls out of play-doh. Slowly I removed the red lid, holding up a chunk of play-doh and repeating "red". Big blue eyes stared back. "Ball? Ball! Ball. Ball."

I quickly spun the fresh, soft play-doh into a perfect sphere. Big blue eyes were staring at me the way a puppy looks at you during your steak dinner. A smile of joy spread across his face and giggles escaped him. "Ball!" He held out his hand. I offered him the play-do ball, holding my hand against his mouth and saying, "Don't eat it"*.

Still laughing, he grabbed for the play-doh ball and made a movement towards his mouth. I reached back to pull it away. In one deft move for a one and a half year old, he quickly used his other hand to pull a piece off of the orb and shove it in his mouth.

Mommy completely died laughing. "Gross!" I shouted, despite laughing my ass off, "Ew. That. Is. Disgusting."

More laughing from the kid amidst shouts of "More! More! Ball!"



*We had heard a couple weeks ago about him getting his first play-doh set and eating it. Then we heard about Daddy trying some too and saying it wasn't too bad.

4 Comments:

  • Its not bad at all...a little salty maybe.

    By Blogger FreedomGirl, at 2:01 AM  

  • Daddy tried some red last night, too. And he said "Ew. This isn't as good as the yellow!"

    Of course, I used to work with him, and when we'd open up deliveries, he would eat the packing peanuts just because you can.

    By Blogger Silver Turtle, at 7:45 AM  

  • I suppose we've learned something from this:

    - Eating packing peanuts does not make you sterile

    - When ordering Play-Doh at a fine restaurant, go for the yellow.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:16 PM  

  • What's really weird is everyone I tell that story too, including my mom, keeps telling me that it's salty.

    Am I the only person who's never been inclined to eating play-doh?

    And no, I've never eaten paste, either.

    By Blogger Silver Turtle, at 11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home