The Silver Turtle

Sunday, September 25, 2005

exercise, gas prices, and music

Today I bought a bicycle on sale at Target for a mere $64. I plan to be riding it to and from work by the end of next week (about 3.5 miles each way) and using it for most errands. I've actually been wanting a bike all summer; every time I saw someone on one I got this weird longing to be on a bike, too. I suppose it's because I spent at least 40% of my childhood racing up and down the neighborhood on various forms of bicycles. The fact gas is skyrocketing just fueled me into action. I can't afford to spend $5/gallon on gas and just drive wherever, not with an average of 23mpg. And I get in some exercise all at once (something I'm in dire need of).

Of course when I got home today I had to try my new Magna out. I was a little wobbly at first, but I'll blame that on the various tree branches and rocks in the back yard. I started around the block and soon found myself careening down a steep hill, hitting the brakes repeatedly to slow down. Then I realized I was a big chicken, because there was a time when I would have pedaled as hard as possilbe down that hill and turned into the unexpected without thinking twice. By the end of my ride (maybe .5 a mile) I was feeling more daring and comfortable on a bike again. I still need to purchase a bike lock and a tire pump, which I'm going out to do shortly. Part of me thinks it would be wise to get a helmet, too. But most of my brain just can't believe styrofoam coated in plastic is that much protection.

On the music front - I am a glutton for punishment and agreed to play in this big church Christmas production (again). 13 rehersals over 2 months, and 6 performances the beginning of Decemeber. Crap pay, but good times. I'm carpooling with Holly since it's about 17 miles one way.

I also agreed to help Brent write pop music. I've never written pop music in my life, and I'm pretty sure he hasn't either. But he's good at a melody and lyrics, and I can bang out some chords on the keyboard and probably write some bass stuff at the same time. It should be an interesting experiment. Then we'll take it to his friend/producer (who is apparently a little on the tone deaf side) and see what he makes of it.

5 Comments:

  • A bicycle and carpooling...you are such a better human being than I am.

    By Blogger FreedomGirl, at 7:21 PM  

  • Ahem.

    Repeat after me.

    "I, state your name..."

    I, state your name...

    Okay that's so not even funny.

    Okay that's so not even funny.

    Stop it!

    Stop it!

    I'm a big stupidhead.

    MooCow is a big stupidhead.

    Sigh. I, Silver Turtle,

    Sigh. I, Silver Turtle,

    Do promise to buy a bike helmet

    Do promise to buy a bike helmet.

    And wear it everywhere even if I'm allergic to styrofoam.

    And wear it everywhere even if I'm allergic to styrofoam.

    Seriously, get a helmet damnit :)

    By Blogger MooCow, at 7:21 PM  

  • Great news that you're taking to an ecofriendly alternative. I take it this is only until it gets too cold though?

    By Blogger Katie, at 8:52 PM  

  • Hey Miss Silver Turtle~

    I just saw your pics on Flickr & they're really great! I love the pictures from Via Colori, especially the cat pic! When Tom & I went on Sunday, it was overcast & the colors just weren't as vibrant.

    Char

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:18 PM  

  • I'm loving the biking. I love it for all the environmental and health reasons, I love not giving any more money to the Bush dynasty, I love being out in the fresh air, I love zooming by the the traffic jams in the morning. I wish I would have bought one last spring.

    I'll give some more consideration to the helmet Mr. MooCow - especially since I rode an on overpass this morning and had cars rushing at me at 55 mph on one side, and a huge drop on to more moving cars on the other... although the helmet would be pretty useless in that fall I think.

    Luckily winters aren't too bad here - as long as it's dry and I can bundle up a little, I'll probably ride well into November, and then have to put the bike up until February.

    I don't know if I'll go to the bus then - because it is so close to work I don't use that much gas and the bus would run me about $40/month. Bad for the environment, I know. But I'm trying.

    Char - you should put up some photos on your flickr account - I bet there are some sweet ones, a la the scary but awesome angel.

    By Blogger Silver Turtle, at 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home