The Silver Turtle

Sunday, September 18, 2005

impressed

Last night I went to see a friend's gig; she sings jazz standards. We went to college together, and a few of the guys in her band were at school with us, too.

She was just enjoying the band with the rest of us, letting them play a few tunes before she joined in. There were 3 guys on stage when I arrived: guitar, bass, violin. I kept thinking that something was missing from the equation, but couldn't put my finger on it. It was apparent the violin player didn't usually play with them, because in between songs he would ask basic questions such as "how fast do you take this?" in regards to the next tune. The guys were trading off solos, and then the bass player took his turn. That's when I realized what was missing - there was no drummer. These guys were playing together so tight that I didn't notice the missing drums, keeper of the beat.

Eventually a drummer did arrive, and the show just got better and better. From the introductions, I gathered that the drummer was a fill-in, making 1/2 the band "new" to the music. And they were incredible. They played off each other and with each other like it was nothing.

What is it I had said before about jazz... it's a conversation. That's exactly how these guys played. It was impressive and inspiring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home