The Silver Turtle

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

too damn busy

Ever since somewhere in the eighth grade, I've been involved in everything. It started with the music ensembles. Then it grew to include the community service groups with my friends. And I had to have time for my job and keeping my grades up and just hanging out. Luckily being a high school honors student mostly meant doing some homeworking and having a decent memory. And I have always been pretty adept at creative time management.

In college I told myself I wasn't going to be in every club possible. I already had a few music ensembles on top of a full course load and the fun and excitement of the college experience. That lasted until the fall of my sophomore year when I joined my fraternity. [yeah - I know I'm a girl. It's co-ed. Hence the word fraternity.] Add one or two jobs and some freelance and gig work - and right back down the spiral of involvement. (My most academically successful semester I was taking 16 credit hours, working two part time jobs and doing freelance work. I also managed to find loads of time for socializing - even thought it was often 2AM runs to Denny's).

After graduation I spent some time just waiting tables and taking a few road trips with friends. Then I got a semi-real job. Before I knew it, I was swept back up into work parties and fraternity alumni life and a relationship.

One would think that I don't value my free time. That's a wrong assumption. I adore free time. I try very hard to squeeze in as much free time as I can. (I include bass practice in free time, because that's really fun). I don't stay as late at work as I could or probably should most days. I don't take all the overtime that I can. I slack off on some of my volunteer duties more often than I should. I say no to things.

And here I am, still having to use my mad time management skills just to find time to update my blog. I wish I would have beaten Franklin Covey to the monopoly on planners, palm pilots, and other time management devices. Once I get into my time management groove I can do just about anything. And the busier my calendar gets, the more relaxation I manage to get it - because it becomes that much more important. I can't wait to finish some of my current projects and get my butt to Boston for my mini-vacation. April 1st cannot arrive soon enough.

2 Comments:

  • It's called livin large. I envy that - for every hour in public I like 2 in private. Probably comes from growing up in a very large family. I love peace and quiet.

    By Blogger Shamus O'Drunkahan, at 8:17 PM  

  • I didn't know what I missing. Once I got a taste of freedom, though - that was it. I can't get enough.

    By Blogger Silver Turtle, at 6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home