The Silver Turtle

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

lists...catalogs...organization...and the best albums all in one post

I can have moments of OCDness. I really like certain things to stay very, very organized. I think one of the reasons I like web design is that I get to organize things, and they don't get messed up when I'm done.

In my quest for online organization, I have my:

  • online photo collection

  • online catalog of live music

  • online catalog of books

  • online catalog of DVDs


  • Now I'm looking for something similar to catalog my CDs. I realize that with itunes, etc. all of my digital playlists can be available, but I'd still like easy online access to those old fashioned CDs.

    I was actually looking for a CD cataloging system when I found the DVD site. I'm on a big(ger than usual) music kick right now, and someone on one of my geeky music boards posted a list of Rollings Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time and then listed the albums they own. I don't think Rolling Stone is the authority on music, but they sometimes are interesting, and I'm kind of bored, so here's my list of the albums I own that appear on the list (play along in your own blog or journal if you wish): *This only includes actual CDs I own; not, for example, the numerous downloads of Hendrix songs, greatest hits albums that contain most of the same material, or compilations that may include a lot of the songs, etc.:

    1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles
    8. London Calling, The Clash
    14. Abbey Road, The Beatles
    17. Nevermind, Nirvana
    37. Hotel California, The Eagles
    81. Graceland, Paul Simon
    87. The Wall, Pink Floyd
    131. Saturday Night Fever, Various Artists
    187. So, Peter Gabriel
    197. Murmur, R.E.M.
    207. Ten, Pearl Jam
    217. Licensed to Ill, Beastie Boys
    247. Automatic for the People, R.E.M.
    261. Tracy Chapman, Tracy Chapman
    315. Surfer Rosa, Pixies
    326. Disintegration, The Cure
    293. Greatest Hits, Simon and Garfunkel
    327. Jagged Little Pill, Alanis Morissette
    341. Play, Moby
    376. (What's the Story) Morning Glory?, Oasis
    377. CrazySexyCool, TLC
    455. Synchronicity, The Police
    473. A Rush of Blood to the Head, Coldplay

    And stuff that I need want to get. In some cases I previously owned the albums, but they wandered off to CDville and never returned. And some I'll probably eventually just download. Anyways, this can be a reference list for me when I'm not in the mood for new music:

    2. Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys
    5. Rubber Soul, The Beatles
    6. What's Going On, Marvin Gaye
    12. Kind of Blue, Miles Davis
    15. Are You Experienced?, The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    26. The Joshua Tree, U2
    41. Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols, The Sex Pistols
    43. The Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd
    154. The Low End Theory, A Tribe Called Quest
    157. Closer, Joy Division
    193. Dookie, Green Day
    45. The Band, The Band
    120. Raising Hell, Run-DMC
    147. Dreams to Remember: The Otis Redding Anthology, Otis Redding
    49. At Fillmore East, The Allman Brothers Band
    94. Bitches Brew, Miles Davis
    207. Ten, Pearl Jam
    216. The Queen Is Dead, The Smiths
    252. Metallica, Metallica
    258. American Beauty, Grateful Dead
    290. Talking Heads: 77, Talking Heads
    295. Meat Is Murder, The Smiths
    303. Grace, Jeff Buckley
    305. Odelay, Beck
    310. BloodSugarSexMagik, Red Hot Chili Peppers
    311. Unplugged in New York, Nirvana
    314. The Velvet Underground, The Velvet Underground
    329. Daydream Nation, Sonic Youth
    336. Superunknown, Soundgarden
    338. Cheap Thrills, Big Brother and the Holding Company
    345. Stop Making Sense, Talking Heads
    360. Siamese Dream, The Smashing Pumpkins
    368. Rage Against the Machine, Rage Against the Machine
    437. All Things Must Pass, George Harrison
    478. Radio, LL Cool J
    480. Faith, George Michael
    481. The Smiths, The Smiths
    487. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, The Smashing Pumpkins

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home