The Silver Turtle

Sunday, January 09, 2005

cities at night


Columbus Skyline
Originally uploaded by SilverTurtle.
I can tell you the exact moment I knew I was a city girl, in love with the lights and bustle and culture and excitement for life. I was about 12 or 13 and my family had driven to Chicago to visit my aunt and her family. They lived not far from the city.

The first night we drove in, I saw the Chicago skyline against the dark sky and Lake Michigan. My mind could have exploded with curiosity; what happened in each building, what were all those people doing right now, what great things were being created in those several miles alone? And that was it, I was in love. With cities of all kinds. I can visit the country, and I really do enjoy nature, but I need to be in a city about 360 days a year to be content.

Friday night when I got off work I felt like taking a litle stroll around downtown, just to enjoy being in the city. Columbus is best described as a "big city with a small town feel", although it's more of a medium size. Even for a Friday it was pretty calm - very relaxing.

I decided to shoot some photos of landmarks and lights and the general beauty of a city. The most activity was around the Ohio Theatre, where people were heading in to see the supremely popular show The Producers. Outside the theatre I ran into Steve Streets, a guy that sings and plays tuba around town. Otherwise it was quiet. Check out all the pretty photos here.

3 Comments:

  • Awesome shots of the city at night by the way. Why is it that cities at night look so nice from a distance, but when you're actually in the city, you just can't notice the beauty of it at all?

    By Blogger MooCow, at 12:30 AM  

  • Thanks. That was the first time I used that camera at night so I wasn't sure what to expect.

    You're right about not enjoying the beauty of cities more when you're right there in one. I think they're pretty amazing to look at.

    By Blogger Silver Turtle, at 9:51 AM  

  • Thanks! That's probably the nicest compliment I've ever gotten on my very amateur photography.

    By Blogger Silver Turtle, at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home