The Silver Turtle

Thursday, January 06, 2005

one person, one name

I was watching The Matrix Reloaded tonight. There are so many characters, and they all have just one name. There is only 1 Neo, only 1 Morpheous, only 1 Link, etc. Not Neo Smith and Neo Johnson.

The internet communities we build and participate in are very much that way, too. I use Silver Turtle at a lot of places on the web (stop trying to stalk me...) and I know a lot of other people that have 1 general name they use for their online shenanagins. What if that's just how it was. When someone said, "Oh I saw Silver Turtle rockin' out on bass last week", they would be talking about me, because there would be no other Silver Turtle out there.

I actually like me real name just fine, but it is fairly common. And there are about 10 accepted ways to spell it, plus a few other made-up ways to spell it. So being the only Silver Turtle would have its benefits. Then again, when I came on here and bitched about my coworkers, they'd know exactly who I was. So I guess I'd still need an online alter ego. Like Bruce Wayne/Batman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home