The Silver Turtle

Saturday, January 15, 2005

music, music, music

This morning I had practice with a church orchestra & singers for tomorrow's service. I'm subbing for their regular bass player. It went very well, challenging but not too difficult, and I had a lot of fun. Of course, music is always a lot of fun. The guitar player retrieved a really nice Hartke combo amp from somewhere for me to use that sounded great. I love the sound of Hartke amps. And now I don't have to haul my very wonderful(but very heavy) amp with me tomorrow morning.

This church has an orchestra and a choir and a praise team. The praise team appears to be made up of membes of the orchestra and choir. So it seems like sort of the same thing to me. I think the praise team sings contemporary christian music and is a little more rockin'. I will find out for sure tomorrow since I was recruited after today's rehersal to sub for the bass player (same person) in that, too. It only requires an extra 30 or 40 minutes of my time. It also means I get to learn a new song tomorrow morning in that 30 minutes. Nothing like jumping in with both feet and having a blast doing it.

The good/bad thing about this morning's rehersal is that:
BAD: There's something wrong with the wiring in my bass so it needs to visit the doctor. It will take a couple days, so that humming will be there tomorrow - although it's only noticeable when I'm not playing, which is pretty much only between songs.
GOOD: I've eliminated the amp as the problem (since I've played it through a few different ones with the same result). And I've narrowed it down to either the bridge pickup or the wiring of the bridge pickup.

I've got plans to meet up with a couple guys Monday night to jam. They are trying to form a band. Right now they have guitar, keys, and voice covered. So they need a bass player and drummer. From the demos I've heard their sound is really different... imagine some postmodern punk, the Cure, some '60's psychadelic sounds, and folk music... and that's sort of their sound.

Working Girl said it best in her post: "Why do I do anything other than play music, and sing, and jam? Why would you ever do anything else? "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home