The Silver Turtle

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

just friends

Very few of my friends adore kung fu movies as much as I do. My friend Brent likes them almost as much. His wife could care less about them. So for his birthday a couple weeks ago I took him to see Kung Fu Hustle at a rad local theatre. I picked him up, talked with his wife (one of my best friends), bought the ticket, the beer, etc. and took him home.

The movie was fabulous. Other than an extra good film, it was your average night out for a couple of friends. I didn't think much of it.

The other day Brent mentioned to one of his coworkers that he had gone with me to see the movie. His coworker practically flipped out. He said, "Your wife lets you go out with other women?"

Brent was taken aback and tried to explain that we're all friends and it wasn't so much "going out with" as it was just hanging out. His coworker then proceeded to tell him that his wife will not let him go out with -/ hang out with any other women. He even has a female friend he plays some role playing game with online, and his wife sent the friend an email claiming that she was destroying their marriage.

Is it really that absurd to expect that people will make friends with members of both sexes? And maybe they'll have something in common with them and want to just hang out?

I kind of think that someone that jealous might be cheating themselves. Or maybe she's just psychotic.

5 Comments:

  • Hubs has lots of female friends. His best friend is a woman. She is married also. If you are secure in your marriage it shouldn't matter. I bet that woman would be jealous if her husband spent time with ANYONE....

    The only female I can't stand Hubs hanging out with is that bitch that lives in the garage, and thats only because he spends so much money on her!

    By Blogger FreedomGirl, at 1:15 PM  

  • That is one pretty bike. I can see why you're jealous ;)

    Don't you have a matching one, though? Like his & her bikes?

    By Blogger Silver Turtle, at 5:53 AM  

  • No....Cuz I'm a chicken.
    :(

    By Blogger FreedomGirl, at 1:18 PM  

  • I wonder about this too, b/c I get along better w/ men, but figured that when I moved to Philly to be in the same city w/ my BF, that my hanging out with men days were over.

    As expected, haven't made any new male friends, but still keep in touch w/ the old ones the same way.

    By Blogger Katie, at 10:35 PM  

  • It seems like as you get older, it's harder to make good friends. With the opposite sex there's always the potential of 1 person getting the wrong idea from person 2 I guess.

    By Blogger Silver Turtle, at 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home