The Silver Turtle

Sunday, June 12, 2005

new sounds

I've been wondering how the tuba would record. So today I found out. I warmed up for a few minutes, hit the record button, and played whatever seemed right. I did just the one take and didn't do any editing - just left it to pure tuba goodness. If I find some free space to host it I'll share. Otherwise I guess you'll just have to imagine what Tuba Romp #1 sounds like.

When I play my tuba, I don't have to think about key signatures and time signatures and progressions*, I've played long enough that those things come naturally. I can't wait until the bass is as comfortable to me. Right now I still find that pesky music theory creeping in when I really want to be creative and let the music just flow.

I'm getting better though, the other day I played a series of jazzy little riffs with some potential. I wish I would have recorded that, I loved the spontaneity.

UPDATE: Tuba Romp #1

*When I'm sight reading I'm paying a lot of attention to these things

2 Comments:

  • You rock the tuba!

    By Blogger FreedomGirl, at 4:34 PM  

  • Hehe... I'm surprised anyone actually listened to that.

    It wasn't exactly rockin', but it's exactly what most people expect tubas to sound like, I think.

    Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    By Blogger Silver Turtle, at 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home