The Silver Turtle

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

renegade vacation

with photos

I took a short little vacation over the weekend. Silver Turtle Boyfriend was off with some of the guys at a music/camping thing. So I was on my own.

I learned how to take vacations from my parents, which means you have a general idea of where you think you want to go, and then you just do whatever sounds good on the way there. And if your ultimate destination changes, that's okay as long as you're having fun. So this is the tale of brief, renegade vacation... with some photos.

Day 1
Vacation started Thursday, when I went with Brent to see A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for $1.00 Now I really want to read the book, something friends have been telling me to do since I was in high school. Brent invited me over to hang with him, Holly and Nayson. I ended up there most of the day, and Copy Princess and Tom joined us. The night ended with me trying to teach everyone euchre. It was semi-successful.

Day 2
I had planned on driving up to Ann Arbor for 2 things: The Street Art Fairs and Carbon Leaf, who happened to be playing at the S. University Street Art Fair. I woke up Friday and did some last minute things like getting cash from the ATM. I decided to rent a car, just in case my rear wheels decide to fall off like they've been threatening to do for 2 months.

I got to Ann Arbor and found a hotel. The guy working the desk was nice and funny and chatty. I got checked in and immediately headed to the Art Fairs, arriving around 12:30 in the afternoon. I wandered around for several hours, keeping an eye out for my former roommate, who is an artist that lives in Ann Arbor. I was disappointed I never ran into her, but I did have a great time looking around. Then I headed over to S. University to check out the bands. I arrived about half way through Stephen Kellog and the Sixers' set. Indy/Acoustic feeling rock ... good stuff. That flowed into Keri Noble's set. She played piano and sang, but much more melodic than Tori Amos (who I love, just the best comparison I can think of right now) and her producer played guitar and sang some back up.

Then it was time. Carbon Leaf.



The guys were amazing. They always are, but I hadn't seen them live in a little over a year and I think I forgot the exact energy they bring on stage. Incredible musicians, lots of fun, good music. Jordan played an incredible intro to Paloma, and had I known it was coming I would have recorded it. It was on his Lakland, and I've never heard him play like than on the electric bass before (his jams are usually on the upright).

Since I don't have any audio, here's some a lot more pics:







And some fangirl pictures of me with the rock stars, too*:


Me with Carter (guitars, mandolin, effects), Me with Jordan (basses) and Terry (guitars)

*After raving to Jordan about his intro/solo, I asked if I could get a fangirl pic with him. He asked Terry to shoot the photo, and Terry started to get in the picture and hand the camera to another guy. Jordan kicked him out declaring it was his photo and no one asked Terry to be in it. So after that photo, we were nice and let Terry join in the one above.

After the show I roamed around Ann Arbor for a few minutes longer, and I'm amazed that it is almost the same as when I lived there in 1997. As I was returning to my hotel, I realized I could call a mutual friend to get Mary's (our former roommate the artist) number. I also stopped to pick up stuff for dinner and breakfast at the exact same corner store I frequented when I lived down the street.

Day 3
I woke up and packed up my stuff. Then I called Mary but just got voice mail. I waited around awhile, but was anxious to get on the road. I had told my mom I'd stop in later than night and spend a day or so at her house. (She lives in NE Ohio). I checked out and headed south. I still have a small pang of sadness every time I leave Ann Arbor. I really do enjoy that town.

I decided I was making good time, and could stop in Cleveland to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. I've wanted to go for several years, and my friends have all either gone and didn't like it, or don't want to go. This is a pic of Cleveland with a blimp flying overhead:



The Rock Hall was a little pricey at $20, but I absolutely loved every minute I was there. I actually enjoy museums, and thought this was one of the best I've ever been to. There were guitars and basses (including the one Paul Simmonon infamously smashed on stage that appears on the Clash album) and clothes and posters, but also drawings Jimi Hendrix made for his dad at age 10, and Jim Morrison's cub scout uniform, and that sort of thing. There was a chronological wall of rock that also talked about the cities that produced certain sounds. There were a few movies I didn't have time for. There was an interactive thing where you could select a band, and it would show their influences and bands that they influenced so you could see how they were all connected. It was wonderful.

So if you like music and/or history, go here:



After reluctantly prying myself from the story of rock-n-roll, I drove to my mom's. Shortly after I arrived, we went to visit my sister in her new digs - she and a friend just moved in to a super dope apartment. We ate dinner and decided to catch a movie. We saw March of the Penguins. It was the perfect length and really well made.

Day 4
I stayed at my mom's Saturday night, and Sunday we drove back to Cleveland to visit the Western Reserve Historical Society Museum. But not before shopping, and that's where I got all of the sweet decorations for my bathroom. About half of the museum was closed off for renovations and changing exhibits, so everything was free. My favorite was the Maurice Sendak exhibit... you know him... he wrote Where the Wild Things Are.

Since everything was free, my mom took me out to lunch. We stopped by my sister's again, and then eventually I headed home. Once I got home I really felt like going out for a pint, but when I called Copy Princess she was at some othe friends' house. So I went there and we played Scruples and then I had to return my rental car before midnight. Once I got home, I put up decorations. I couldn't sleep, so I kept getting up until close to 3 AM.

Day 5
Despite my lack of sleep, I managed to get up around 9. I had a doctor's appointment, the only bad thing all weekend. It went smoothly enough. Then Silver Turtle Boyfriend got home, and we took care of some business. Then we went and ran errands. Then I met a guy Jesse to jam with. He plays acoustic guitar and sings, and is casually jamming with people. We got along quite well. I'm sure it's partially because I've gained some experience jamming with people I don't know, and partially I hadn't touched my bass in 4 days so I was eager to play stuff, but I thought we played really well together... a very complementary style. I'm supposed to call him later this week and set up another jam time, and then we might hit an open mike together in a few weeks.

The End

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home