The Silver Turtle

Saturday, February 17, 2007

church

My dad asked me today if I had been looking for a church. My dad is an überchurchgoer. He teaches Sunday School, teaches Awanas, ends up in church plays, counsels at a church camp, and socializes primarily with his churchgoing brethren. He's 100% - just into church stuff.

He asked me if I didn't miss being involved in church. Of course I shrugged it off, sort of agreed with him, and dodged the subject as much as possible.

I don't miss being involved in church. Church is too time consuming, and if you don't participate in every event asked of you, you get accused of being a bad Christian. I do enjoy playing music at churches. But even after you've played regularly for awhile, people start expecting other things of you. And I just want to play music and maybe worship and sometimes hear some theological ideas, which I find intellectually interesting if nothing else.

I have a general belief that I would describe as Christian, with some Taoist life philosophy. It involves a lot of forgiveness and love and tolerance, and doesn't involve supporting war and death penalties; it just doesn't jive with traditional churches.

I understand my dad's concern is genuine - he wants to make sure my soul isn't damned - and we all want that for our loved ones, regardless of your views of damnation or salvation or just nothingness. I have a hard time communicating my situation and beliefs and disgust with the face of Christian religion and the average churchperson in general, because I don't want my dad to feel like I'm judging him, or that I've given up on God. I'm proud of all he does and the fact he lives such a positive life, but I just can't align myself with the average Christian organization.

Awhile ago I was going to write a bit about Studio 60 - the drama about the SNL-like sketch comedy show. There's a main character who is a Christian, but she's not crazy, and is her own person. Her character spends a good chunk of time explaining or defending (or disagreeing with extreme) Christian ideas and acts. But then I came across this article about Christians in Hollywood. I think it's one of the reasons I like the show. That and the banter between Chandler Matthew Perry & Bradley Whitford's characters. This paragraph doesn't really have much to do with the rest of the post, other than to show an example of the Christians that are tolerable, and in today's polarized world, too rare. And also to say that I'll be really happy if they don't cancel that show.

(Day 1 of 1).

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Had to comment on this one, of course...One of the most frustrating aspects of going to church is the utterly homogenous nature of them. I mean I could really get into sitting in the desert listening to an elderly John the Baptist preach about love and peace and harmony, but steer me clear of tent revivals, enormous mega-churches, and Billy Graham. Do the "teachers" and "spiritual leaders" even know their congregations anymore? How can one effectively communicate when communication requires listening and feedback? (Ok, unless you are God, then you can just dictate and watch as your messages are transcribed over and over again with subtle changes and interpretations) I've developed a bit of a pantheistic philosophy, even though I still believe in Christ's teachings and his role as martyr/savior. "The Zen Teachings of Jesus" was pretty instrumental in bringing me to the point of not throwing the proverbial baby out with the bathwater. (The Christ out with the Christianity?) Trundle through the forest, my silver friend, would love to keep discussing if you'd like.

    By Blogger Helen, at 9:29 PM  

  • I attended a Quaker church about a year ago. We sat in meditative silence for about an hour and 15 minutes, and the person deemed responsible for ending the meeting ended it, and we all introduced ourselves and shared whatever we liked. Sometimes that happens - no one speaks - and sometimes people are led to get up and speak, and it can be anyone, but only if they feel God is speaking to them.

    I really like a lot of their teachings and beliefs and social stances, but I'm a little too ADHD to sit still that long on a regular basis. I would like to go back (I can walk there from my place) sometime, though.

    I'm definately going to have to check out "The Zen Teachings of Jesus". When I had to read "Siddhartha" in 11th grade English class I kept thinking he could have easily been Jesus, but for those of the Eastern hemisphere and fitting in with those cultures.

    By Blogger Silver Turtle, at 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home