The Silver Turtle

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

10 years

This past weekend was my 10 year high school reunion. I didn't go. In fact, I was pretty surprised when, about 8 months ago, our class president sent out an email to everyone and said we were, in fact, having a reunion.

I really like our class president - she was popular, but not in an annoying way. We had been friendly since we met in jr. high at the bus stop. But none of us exactly thought she'd get this thing together.

My senior year several friends and I had a running joke about the "Apathy Club". We were all in so many different clubs and bands and community service groups, beefing up those college applications, that we were just completely burnt out. We just all had this attitude of wanting to move on to bigger and better things. If you heard us refer to the Apathy Club, and asked what you had to do to join, you couldn't be in it. You cared too much. If, however, you heard us refer to the Apathy Club and expressed no interest whatsoever, one of us might say "Wanna be in the club?" If you responded "yes" - you couldn't join, because you still cared too much. If you said "I don't care" or, even better, gave a noncommital shrug, you were in.

Our class president sent everyone a little video montage of her photos from the event. For some reason, she put it to the music "We'll Make Great Pets". I went to a pretty small school, where even if you didn't know someone, you knew everything about them. I was amazed that everyone looked almost exactly the same, just a few years older. Maybe they put on or took off a few pounds, a few of the guys had thinning hair, but really everyone looked the same. I think I also could guess what about 60% of them are doing with their lives now. It did look like everyone had fun (it was an open bar).

I will be attending my 25 year class reunion. To get my stuff back. During our senior year our class (or some people in it) decided to make a time capsule. Everyone got a ziplock sandwich bag and could put anything they wanted in it. All the bags were then labeled with your name, thrown into a 5 gallon bucket (presumably that our class president would keep for the next 25 years) to be unvieled at that reunion. At first I had no interest in the time capsule. (Did you read that paragraph about the Apathy Club?) Then my friend Deza got me geeked to put something in. Mostly because her dad suggested that she throw in a condom and a note to herself that said "Betcha wish you would have used one of these 25 years ago".

1 Comments:

  • Jeez - you know I went to so many different schools, if I showed up at a reunion, no one would remember me! I think the maximum amount of time I spent at any one school was maybe a year.

    Thanks for your earlier comment btw (about 'life getting in the way') - you hit the nail on the head gal.

    By Blogger deanne, at 8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home