The Silver Turtle

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

calvin & hobbes

Calvin & Hobbes is the best comic strip I've ever read.

It came out when I was 9, so I read it from the time I read newspaper comic strips until college. Because it was my favorite, I would read every other strip in the paper first (except Judge Parker - do people read that?) and save up Calvin & Hobbes' antics for last.

I grew to appreciate the philosophy, the craziness, the imagination. I've always viewed Hobbes as Calvin does, and when I see him drawn in his stuffed tiger form it's a small shock to be reminded that he is a toy.

I had a few of the books when I was in high school, and deliberately left them in my old bedroom at mom's house. When I'm home over holidays it gives me something interesting to read. After Thanksgiving I decided to bring one of the books home. (And I regret not bringing the rest... they're coming with me at Christmas).

Calvin and Hobbes was around for 10 years: 1985-1995. December 31, 2005 will mark 10 years since Bill Watterson retired his creation.

A new Complete Calvin & Hobbes Collection is now available.

To honor the goodness that is Calvin & Hobbes, and the artist that has shown integrity since day 1, I also added a daily Calvin & Hobbes link to the SilverTurtle.Goodies (over there --->) so we can all get a daily dose of philosophy, gross bugs, and stuffed tigers.

I miss reading new Calvin & Hobbes. But I'll never cease to enjoy reading the old ones.

5 Comments:

  • I'm trying to figure out a way to get someone to buy the set for me for Christmas.

    It makes me tremble with joy.

    By Blogger acw, at 1:44 PM  

  • I have some good news, I saved a bunch of money by switching my car insurance to Geico! I have some better new, I have updated my journal, so check it out!

    By Blogger Los Daddy, at 10:53 PM  

  • I *heart* Calvin & Hobbes! My favorite that I cut out years ago from the Plain Dealer, where Calvin's drawing all over a piece of notebook paper & the drawings (I think it was a T-Rex) comes to life. The T-Rex attacks the school & Spaceman Spiff comes to save the day! But then T-Rex launches a counter-attack & says "Calvin! What's ____?" Spaceman Spiff is confused. "I thought so!" which it then cuts to his *evil* teacher asking him the question while taking the piece of notebook paper out of his hands. He then mumbles under his breath "how the arts are always the first to go in schools..."

    There was customer who came into the big FXK, who is an illustrator. (The copy of a drawing he gave to me is tacked on Tom's door.) But we spent a good 30 minutes talking about Calvin & Hobbes, & it was just so nice having an *intelligent* conversation with someone while working at the "red-headed step-child store" (not to name names) I didn't charge him for his copies. (He too also got on my case, like Brent does, about how I don't work on my artwork.)

    -copy_princess

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:47 PM  

  • ACW - you can just do what Silver Turtle Boyfriend does: email a link to you ACWF with the subject "Christmas Idea!!!!!!!!" I think she'll get the hint.

    Copy Princess - I know exactly which strip you're referring to. That type of humor/realism is why I, too, *heart* C&H

    By Blogger Silver Turtle, at 10:08 AM  

  • Spaceman Spiff rules.

    By Blogger FreedomGirl, at 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home