The Silver Turtle

Monday, November 14, 2005

paradox

I've been really into photography lately. I see "shots" everywhere, even while I'm driving, now. I rarely leave my house without my camera stashed in my pocket or bag... just in case I see something I have to shoot.

So in my never-ending quest for a career I'd love (and not a job I tolerate) I considered, for about 15 seconds, photography. Of course, no one is going to pay me to wander around and take photographs just because I see something interesting. They're going to want me to take pictures of snot-nosed kids that smell like almost-spoiled milk.

My first and truest love is music. I even went to school for music. Since about the age of 14 I really couldn't imagine doing anything else as a career. Once I was in music school, though, I was annoyed by the lack of opportunities to get out and play, and the politics, and all the little things.

The reality is that a career in any kind of creative field is almost impossible. I've known that since about age 14, too. It takes an incredible amount of drive and talent and luck. I like the fact that I know I'm getting a paycheck every 2 weeks. I like having a (small-but-growing) 401(k). I like having health benefits (as expensive as they are).

The problem is balancing the need and drive to create (music or photos or whatever) with the real world. Sometimes I get so focused on something, I let everything else go. (Ok, so maybe that's a little ADD, too).

I've come to the conclusion that what I need is a benefactor, like in that stupid book Great Expectations I had to read in high school. Some stranger who just decides I need a small fortune to support myself while I pursue art for the greater good or something. So I'm now accepting applications for the position of Silver Turtle's Benefactor.

3 Comments:

  • Well I hope you have a good amount of creepy old rich people who read your blog often.

    When those offers start rolling in, see if they might want to finance an album by some up and coming band.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:39 AM  

  • I'm the same way, except with film/video. I figure if I save my money properly these days, I can retire early and shoot all the damn film I want.

    By Blogger acw, at 3:35 PM  

  • Miss Silver Turtle, you need to be like Matt Howell & get yourself a Sugar Daddy. I'm apparently going to have to go searching for mine.

    To this day, I am still in awe of how he pulled that off: considering Matt was sort of average looking & had kinda of "l'eau du stinky boy" when he was into girls...

    -Copy Princess

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home