The Silver Turtle

Friday, February 17, 2006

no new stories

I'm one of those people who reads a lot - I reread books, I have a new book read every week... I like to read. (This week was My Sister's Keeper).

I'm also a bit of a movie geek.

Lately I've read books and watched movies with "twists", with things I'm not supposed to expect... and every time I expect exactly what happens in the end. It's so painfully obvious. And also, seemingly, the only way the story can go.

I think there are a limited number of stories people can tell, and they just keep finding ways to retell them. It's probably related to Carl Jung's archetype ideas or something. Kind of like how so many widespread religions and cultures share similar stories, like The Great Flood.

When was the last time you read or saw something truly original? The root stories are all the same.

Good vs. Evil.
Unrequited Love.
Forbidden Love.
Coming of Age Tales.
Struggle Against Oppressors (see #1).
Man vs. Machines/Man vs. Technology/Man vs. The Future.

All I'm saying is I want some new stories.

2 Comments:

  • http://us.penguingroup.com/static/html/blogs/seven-stories-rule-world-matt-haig

    You might not get any new once - the brain seams like it is hardwired according to some. We would find other stories non satisfactory and not story like.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_psychology_of_religion

    By Blogger Morgan Jarl, at 3:56 AM  

  • Suggest Below Mile Zero - website: Cre8tve1.com

    By Blogger Cre8tve1, at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home