The Silver Turtle

Saturday, April 22, 2006

car free day 2006

I never even heard of Car Free Days until about 20 minutes ago. [Thank you Internet].

I actually saw a local event listing for April 26, 2006 and signed up to participate. Unless it's raining. I'm all about moderation. That's why I drive when the weather is sucky and ride when it's nice and I have time.

There's an old out-of-date Car Free Columbus Site, too. I sent them a comment to recommend they update their site. Maybe. Since there is another event in 6 days.

I'm also thinking about the campus-area bike ride, which is at 9:30 PM on Monday night. (Bike riding on a week night? I *heart* college kids. I wonder if they bike to different bars?)

Back to these Car Free Days for a minute. I'm American, too, and that means I LOVE MY CAR. Even though it's a 1996 Buick that has some dashboard parts held together with duct tape. (Am I classy, or what?) I don't love pollution or paying $3.00+/gallon of gas (especially when I'm averaging 18 mpg) or not getting any exercise. I think it's silly to expect a city to just eliminate cars altogether. Although it's not as silly as the people who move 40 miles out of the city (which they commute to daily), buy an SUV, vote for politicians who have their hands (and arms and elbows and shoulders) in the oil business, and then complain about gas prices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home