The Silver Turtle

Sunday, February 18, 2007

tow truck drivers & car thieves

Saturday night I headed over to my friends' house. The plan was to watch a tuba cartoon DVD with their 3 year old kid, probably eat some junk food, and after he went to bed us grown ups were going to watch The Departed.

Upon my arrival I discovered that my friends were not having the best day. Earlier they had their car towed and spent over $800 fixing it. Then Dad went to pick up some food about a mile from the house, and was having an unrelated car problem that involved the ignition not working. At all. Mom couldn't go get him because she had Kid and the carseat was in the car Dad took.

So I drove back and forth, shuttling Mom & Dad between their home and their stranded car. After phone calls to every open locksmith in the vicinity, we discovered that none of them would touch the ignition lock because of liability. I offered up my AAA membership to save them paying for 2 tows in one day. After being told it was a 2 hour wait for a towtruck, we got a guy within about 15 minutes.

And this is where the story really begins. The tow truck driver (TTD) looked to be 18 years old. I might have believed he was 19, after he showed me his ID. But he was friendly and nice.

TTD asked us what the problem was, and my friend briefly described the issue. With super confidence, TTD offered to take a look, and of course the car wouldn't start for him, either.

Eagerly TTD announced: I know who to call -
and he called someone on his 2 way phone/walkie talkie device

TTD (into phone): Hey, did you ever steal a (year, make & model of friends' car)?

Mumbling girl on the other end: a response I didn't make out

TTD (to us): My girlfriend used to steal cars for a living...

US (to each other): This is crazy and hilarious stares at each other

TTD (still to us, with glowing pride in his voice): ...she's 17

My friend (the Mom): Man, I need to get some new friends

Me: Yeah, with some special skillz

Friend: I need to put their numbers in my phone

TTD: Yeah, under Car Thieves

All 3 Of Us: *mad laughter*

17 year old former car thief (over the talkie to TTD): Lots of really detailed questions and suggestions

Friend: Wow, she really knows what's she's talking about

TTD (gleefully): Yeah, that's my babymomma

17 year old former car thief and current babbymomma: You're going to have to mumble car stuff I don't catch

TTD (to us): She's hott

Us: laugh our freezing butts off

And from there, TTD hooked up the car and towed it the 1.1 miles to my friends' home. While he followed us in my car, we discussed the weird conversation we just had, and how many 17 year olds "make a living" and do so stealing cars, when they couldn't have been old enough to legally drive (although if you're stealing cars, you're obviously not real concerned with legalities). It didn't cost us anything, and that story alone makes up for giving up one of my free tows.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home