The Silver Turtle

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

food

In America Holidays=Food, therefore food has been a big topic of discussion amongst my coworkers, friends and family lately.

It started with the annual Cookie Exchange at work. Everyone who wishes to participate signs The List. Then everyone on The List makes 1 dozen cookies for each person on The List. So if 10 people sign up, each person is responsible for 9 dozen cookies. (No, I didn't sign The List. The exchange day was last Monday and I played 4 gigs that weekend. Excellent excuse. And coworkers felt bad and brought me cookies anyway.)

People signed The List. Then they said, "I don't know how to make cookies." Don't know how? The recipe is right there on the bag! Or just buy the kind you slice and bake for 15 minutes! Or just buy some! One person made cake - 10 cakes!! - because she said her cookies don't come out well. Someone else informed me he didn't know how to make cookies because he "grew up in the Bronx". (He did make cookies and they turned okay). I cannot believe anyone doesn't know how to make cookies.

Christmas dinner time at my aunt's house. Big, yummy dinner. Yay! I had pineapple casserole. This is apparently pineapple, shredded cheese, crackers, some flour and sugar, etc. Sounds gross, eh? Surprisingly delicious. But the real reason Christmas dinner is wonderful is suet pudding (*not the secret family recipe*). A tradition on my father's side of the family for years. If you're not familiar with it, it's a sort of bread pudding with a sweet sauce. Made from ground suet. Yes, suet... animal fat. Usually beef fat. It doesn't look much better than it sounds. It is one of the most fabulous desserts ever. The young cousins always have fun teasing their even younger cousins about it. But almost all of us devour the stuff.

Then a random discussion about cravings. My mom tells us everything she craved with each of her kids. With my brother she craved popcorn and ice cubes. Ice cubes. What the hell? That's not a food. I asked if she craved water... no - only ice cubes. Weird.

Those are my holiday food highlights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home