The Silver Turtle

Sunday, February 26, 2006

a tree hugger post

I'm considering entering this local photography contest - the subject being the local "greenways". Entries aren't due until May, so I thought I could get out anytime the weather and my schedule permit, take a bunch of photographs, and actually have a decent sized pool to choose from.

Today was day one of the expedition. I chose a park really close to home. It's winter, but sunny with no snow or frost or anything. I wasn't expecting a great photo, since everywhere I looked it was brown: the trees, the remaining leaves covering the mud, and of course, the river.

I spent some time wandering along what may or may not be an actual trail, climbing over fallen trees in the "path", jumping around mini-ravines. It was actually quite fun.

Until I found the first subject for my photos. In a little cluster of trees along the river's bank there was a sort of dam formed. In the water there was an old basketball, a boot, and an empy cottage cheese container. It made me sad, but I shot a few images at different angles and with different settings, figuring I may decide to use art as a commentary on how we treat our environment.

I proceeded along, eventually finding my way back to an actual trail. Unfortunately, along the way I kept coming across little clumps of trash. Not just a couple beer bottles, but a shopping cart, random pieces of clothing, and various empty food containers to name a few.

Sometimes I'm optimistic about the future relationship between humankind and the earth. There are companies and people who are trying to make a difference. Maybe I'll actually see America use a different energy source in my lifetime.

Today I was saddened by the fact we still have people who can't even differentiate between a trash can and a river.

Edited to add: Here's where I'm keeping my pics

1 Comments:

  • You mean the river doesn't wash all of our trash down into Mexico?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home